Alation is an enterprise data catalog that uses machine learning to inventory the data assets within an organization’s data ecosystem.
Connecting Alation is supported for Starburst Galaxy, Starburst Enterprise platform (SEP), and Trino. It enables all configured catalogs, and therefore the connected data sources, to be managed and accessible by a single connection in Alation.
This characteristic provides the following advantages:
- Compose, Alation’s built-in query editor provides convenient query authoring support for accessing all data sources from the single connection.
- Cross-datasource technical lineage in Alation is achieved with a single connection.
- Metadata extraction, data sampling, and query log ingestion is simplified, since all data sources can be configured using the single connection in Alation.
To connect Alation to your cluster, you must meet the following requirements for Alation and either Starburst Galaxy, Starburst Enterprise, or Trino:
- Alation 2021.1 or newer, or Alation Cloud
- Starburst Galaxy
- Starburst Enterprise 354-e STS or newer
- Trino 351 or newer
You can connect Alation to your cluster using the Alation’s Custom DB
This method supports metadata extraction, data sampling, and query log
ingestion. Lineage is automatically generated with each method for
CREATE TABLE AS statements, but is not generated for
CREATE VIEW AS
The Presto on Hive connector developed by Alation is limited and only supports Hive-based data sources. This connection method is not recommended.
Is the information on this page helpful?