Get started with Starburst Galaxy #
To get started with Starburst Galaxy, create your own new Starburst Galaxy account for your organization with the following steps:
If your organization already has an account, you can contact an administrator, and ask them to create a user account invite for you. This allows you to activate your account in the existing organization.
Create free trial organization #
To create a Starburst Galaxy organization account, you need to sign up for a free trial:
Open the Starburst Galaxy trial page in a browser and find the sign up form.
- Enter your first and last name.
- Add your business email. This is where we send your activation code. The email address is used as your username for Starburst Galaxy.
- Click Create Account. This redirects you to the next step, do not close the browser window.
- Open your email client and find the invitation email.
Copy the six digit code, sent to the email address you provided, into the dialog and press Verify:
- Once the code is verified, enter the desired domain for your organization. It
is used as the sub-domain for the URL of your account to create a fully
qualified domain name (FQDN) of
<domain>.galaxy.starburst.io. Use your business, organization, or department name to enable users to remember the full FQDN easily. The domain needs to fulfill the following criteria:
- Includes only lower case letters and numbers.
- Consists of 4 to 30 characters. Note that the chosen value for domain can not be changed later.
- Click Create account to confirm and create your Starburst Galaxy account for your organization.
In the Create password for account dialog, enter a password for your administrator account, and click Create account.
Once your account is set up, the browser redirects you to your new Starburst Galaxy organization and displays the welcome page. Note the change of the URL in your browser to
<domain>.galaxy.starburst.io. Click Continue.
Select your reason for signing up for Starburst Galaxy, then click Continue.
If you want to connect to your own data source, choose Yes, then Continue.
Select the data source you want to connect to, then click Continue.
Some of the data sources in the grid are marked with a Coming soon notation. You can select the ones that interest you, to help us gauge interest in the features to add to Galaxy.
If you have the rights to provide the connection information needed to connect your data source to a cluster, choose Yes. Click Great! Let’s connect your data to go to Starburst Galaxy.
- In Starburst Galaxy, follow the steps to configure a catalog.
- If you do not want to connect to your own data source, choose No, then Continue. You can connect to your own data source later.
Click Play with sample data to query our sample data sets in the query editor.
Invite a user as account administrator #
Any user with the account admin role can create catalogs, clusters, or perform administrative tasks, such as inviting new users to join the organization and start using Starburst Galaxy.
- From the left side menu under ACCOUNT, click Access control and select Users from the list.
- On the Users pane click Add user to access the Add user dialog.
- Enter the email address of the user.
Optionally grant access to additional roles for the user, and set the default role. Check the access control documentation for more information about security aspects for users with roles and privileges is
- Click Add user to confirm and automatically send an invitation email to the user.
With the email invitation, the user can activate their account.
Activate your user account #
To activate your new user account, locate and open your Starburst Galaxy email invitation:
Click Set up account.
You are redirected to the organization’s Starburst Galaxy account in a browser. On the Create account page, create and enter your new password following the requirements for length. This password is specific to Starburst Galaxy, and not related to your email access password or any other password in your organization. Ensure to store this password safely.
Click Create account to finish your account setup. Click Get started running some queries in the welcome dialog.
After your account is activated you can explore and use Starburst Galaxy. Functionality and available features depend on your roles and privileges granted with the access control system.
Learn SQL #
Check out our SQL tutorials, or dive right into the SQL documentation and experiment with your own data.
Is the information on this page helpful?
- Get started with Starburst Galaxy
Is the information on this page helpful?